Studio Before and After


This is the area that you first enter from the back door, which we most often use.  It is kind of an odd room that could be an entry hall, a small den, or even a dining room.  It had a parque floor that didn't match the tile in the connecting kitchen or the original hardwood in the connection den.  I think that over the years and assorted additions and redos, this room was used for many things.  The most recent owner added that tile on the wall.  Before a bit of demo, there was wine bar there.  As you can see, it was painted more tan and had a heavy black light fixture.


We had the flooring again done to match the original hardwood for better flow.  The tile on the wall came down.  The trim needed only a little bit of repair and was painted the same Summer Gray as the rest of the house.  The walls were painted a dark, dark gray called Ocean Storm by Benjamin Moore.  My friend has a bathroom painted that color, and I just kept coming back to it after trying out lots of other shades.  Dark colors are risky, and I wanted to get it right!

My art chest was bought at a yard sale and the top part is a wooden tool box.  The wood was different colors, so I painted the both white and distressed them.  The funky knobs came from World Market and the print from Etsy.  The doorway leads to the den and on to my son's room.


My painting desk is in the center of the studio under good track lighting that can be positioned.  My Pottery Barn paint set and and scissors dominate the back wall.  I had in my mind that they would pop against that dark gray wall, and they did not disappoint!  My antique bookshelf full of art books and old favorites is against the other wall beside the doorway to the den.


This is the wall right beside the back door.  That doorway leads down the hall to my daughter's bedroom and the master bedroom.  As you can see, this studio area is in the heart of the house.  This big, plain wall only had the vent on it.  I couldn't hide that, so I decided to work with it.  I have tons of prints, clippings, postcards, my artwork, etc. collected for inspiration and also just because I love images.  When we moved, I found so many that I had not seen in a long time.  I had some of them framed and hung here in a grouping.  I want to add to it as funds and time allows.

From the top left: my first art exhibition poster from Italy, my friend's sneakers I took in my college photography class, a Matisse print, a life quote on stretched canvas, a snapshot of me and my sister circa 1983, and a gorgeous owl photo purchased on Etsy.

My studio is my space.  I've tried to fill it with things that I like to look at while also providing storage and organization.  I love that I can see and hear just about everything that is going on in the house form my desk.  I also love that my family and cats pass through here a million times a day.  I also love that it is the first thing I see when I come home.

Comments