A New Look and a Project

I'm loving fall and this cooler weather and even the rain! I asked Jennisa at Once Upon a Blog to give my header a little fall makeover. I just love what she did! Today I am giving a tutorial on how to make wooden chalkboards - since it is my day off and all!
I have painted several of these for the Street Fair and have just had a ball with all of the possibilities. The larger ones with diamonds are planned for kitchens. How cute would it be to post your menu for the night in chalk? The smaller ones are designed for girls' bedroom doors. I love the idea of your little one getting write her "status" for all to see. She could put "studying" or "cleaning my room" or "no boys allowed"! Lauren is hoping that there will be one that doesn't sell!


1. I stumbled across these thin, flat sheets of wood in the Wal-Mart craft department. They are so cheap that I'm not even going tell you how much! I bought several of the small ones and two of the large ones. The large ones even have nice beveled edges. Lightly sand them and clean off all of the dust. Then paint them with two coats of white paint. This gives you a nice smooth painting surface.


2. Mark off your chalkboard space with a pencil and ruler. Choose the color for the edges around the chalkboard and apply two coats. Be sure to go around the sides as well!


3. Add any background details, like the diamonds on these.


4. The actual chalkboard paint is also available at Wal-Mart and most other craft stores. I even saw dry erase board paint at Lowe's. I'm going to have to check that out! Just follow the direction on the bottle. I did three coats.


5. Once that is good and dry, it's time for the fun part - details! Now you can do any lettering, ribbon, rhinestones, etc. that will make your chalkboard your own!


What takes the longest on these is the drying time between each coat. Be patient! I am so excited to be presenting all of these at the Autumn Street Fair on October 1. After that, I am hoping to get some more ready to go for your Christmas shopping!


Enjoy you day off, too!












Comments

Anonymous said…
These are too cute!! My most favorite is the cupcake one!!
Happy Labor Day!!
Monica Schoeneck
Unknown said…
Hi, I am Trina from www.latter-daycrafters.com I love these chalkboards that you have created! They are so fun. I would love to list them for sale in my store. Take a look and let me know what you think! :) Sincerely, Trina